Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Why woodwork?

On reflection, one of the things I've really enjoyed during my sabbatical is the opportunity woodworking has given me to be creative. I've always been involved in problem solving, right from my first job in R&D with British Gas. Before that I loved maths at school, especially the more complex algebra we used to do.

Solving problems, coming up with creative solutions and making something practical has been rather fulfilling. It would be nice to think that when I return to work in a few weeks times that I will still make the time to do a little woodwork. It would be a shame not use that router table I've built or to not finish the toolbox!

2 comments:

woodtreks said...

I've been following your blog lately since you made mention of my video blog site, woodtreks.com a week or so back. I guess I spotted visitors coming form your blog after you wrote that post. Anyhow, now and again, I've been dropping in on your blog enjoying your daily posts on woodworking and hope that you do indeed keep at it - even after your sabbatical ends. What great therapy. I don't think people know how relaxing and absorbing the craft can be. How many things in life allow one to conceive of something and take it to completion? - all without much outside interference. That's empowering and cathartic - yes?

And BTW, thanks for the kind words about woodtreks. I think a good many woodworkers from the UK came for a visit after you made mention of the site. All the best - Keith

Richard said...

Glad to have been of influence.

I've always enjoyed working with wood, just not had much opportunity. Hopefully that will change and I'll be able to keep doing a little woodwork when I return to work in a few weeks time.

It's nice to see my daughter having a go too.