Thursday, August 28, 2008

Is this milk or varnish?

My memories of using varnish involve a sense of wonder at the way it transforms the wood, frustration as the flaw in the surface shows up as a dark scratch and breathlessness as it took hold of my lungs! 

I think the latter was a little over-stretched, but I certainly have memories of old fashioned varnishes making breathing uncomfortable for me. Maybe it was an involuntary reaction, rather like feeling hungry when you mix filler or cement (you mean to say that I'm the only one who gets an urge to make something with custard whilst repairing loose plaster?!).

Anyway, without realising it, I bought some water based varnish the other day to use on the toolbox I made (I mentioned using a water based varnish when I described making the box). When I opened the tin I wondered what I'd bought. It was very milky but was very easy to apply. And of course cleaning up afterwards was a breeze. Just a little warm water worked into the brush and the job was done. 

I gave the box three coats, and it came up very nicely indeed. There's a nice contrast between the hardwood finish of the main ply body and the lighter, softwood finish of the skins. 

All in all a very easy and satisfying finish to apply.

No comments: