Thursday, August 14, 2008

Drill Press fence

Ever since I started my summer woodworking projects I've been thinking about how to provide some stability for my drill press. I don't use it very often, but when I do securing the work and holding it steady during the drilling process has been awkward.

Using some scraps left over from the plywood I've been using, I made two platforms into which I routed a slot. I then took a piece of timber from the scrap box and used the drill press to bore two holes for the bolts.

The bolts ride in the slots and allow the fence to move forwards and backwards. The platforms add some stability for the work-piece.

I'm thinking of adding some form of clamping mechanism to the platforms to hold the work-piece in place. I've seen both the hold down clamps (like the ones I used on my tenon making jig) and a push-type of clamp. I think Trend even do them to fit on an interchangeable base, which would be really good because that would allow me to choose the appropriate clamp for the job.

No comments: