Friday, August 22, 2008

Toolkit box

I mentioned previously the toolkit we keep in the house and the need there was for a new box. Using a simple rebate joint I created a box from 12mm ply for the sides and 6mm ply for the skins. Nothing fancy, just a simple box. 

I split the box in two using the circular saw and a guide fence. It worked pretty well, but you have to make sure the box is secure and that you have some wedges handy to keep the sawn parts apart for the final cut or two.

I used my vice and a quick clamp to hold the box steady whilst I cut through. Here are the separated parts.

I then took the existing toolkit and split the carry case in two using a sharp trimming knife. Each half fits neatly into the separated parts of the box. A little epoxy glue may be needed to keep them in place.

I then added hinges, a handle and two catches to finish it off. I used a clear, water-based varnish and it now sits proudly in the kitchen awaiting inspection when Anne gets home!

No comments: