Thursday, August 07, 2008

Ally's project

Ally wanted to get on with her writing slope today so we tidied up the dovetail joint that had gone wrong yesterday and got to work adding the top and small lip to the project. Here's Ally's first dovetail joint.

The top is made from a piece of 9mm ply and I helped Ally to shape the back of the slope to match the angle of the sides before we pinned and glued the top to the frame. I then set her to work with sandpaper and elbow grease to clean up the assembled frame. I think she began to realise that woodwork isn't just about the fun of cutting joints but there's the rhythm and patience of sanding to get used to as well.

Meanwhile I did a little work on the toolbox.

I've decided the keep my chisels and marking gauges etc in the box for now. Maybe later I'll choose to use it differently, but I want to get my chisels out of the metal toolbox they've been in for a long time.

Here's the toolbox with the two tills fitted and my Dad's old square in the lid.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the things I've made so far. I've learnt a lot and re-learnt a few things too. I think I'm ready to build the blanket box providing the weather holds. 

As we finished for lunch, the rain came down again and now the sun is out but all the tools are away. We're going to have a rest afternoon, maybe go for a swim.  The grass needs cutting again too, which makes me wonder if I'm the only person for whom tidying up their workshop involves cutting the grass as well as sweeping up the shavings and sawdust!

No comments: