Monday, August 04, 2008

Adding dust extraction to the router table

Before I set to work using my router table for the next project, I decided to add dust extraction to the table. 

I'd already added a dust extraction port using a small length of 1.5 inch waste pipe secured to the fence with epoxy resin.

I bought a cheap (less than £16) cleaner from Tesco to create the dust extractor. It has a 1400 watt motor, which I guessed would do the job. It's a bagged cleaner, and I was a little worried that the bag would fill up quickly and need emptying several times. 

I needn't have worried, the bag coped well with all the work I did today.

I thought I was going to cut the hose to make the connection to the table, but I didn't need to do this. Instead, I used the rubber seal from a waste-pipe fitting to make a seal for the extraction port and pushed the cleaner wand into it. 

To Prevent the trailing hose from putting any undue strain on the epoxy joint, I simply taped it to one of the rear legs of the table.

It worked really well, very little dust left on the table or falling through onto the bench below. not bad for £16 and a little ingenuity!

So, I guess the moral is: dust extraction need not be expensive.

I also managed to get some M6 threaded rod for my router lift. (Got it in Wickes actually). The lift worked really well until I left the depth guide locked in position and broke the lift. I repaired the damage, and it should be fine. One day I might make a better version, but the prototype worked okay.

No comments: