Thursday, August 28, 2008

The final finish

I had a little left-over laminated board from making the top of the blanket box so I decided to make a couple of simple pot stands or even cheese-boards. Being pine they won't last particularly long, but it gave me the chance to try out the final finish I wanted to experience during my sabbatical woodworking adventure.

It took a while and a little research, but I eventually came across an oil finish that is stated to be "food safe" on its packaging. I've read about oil finishes and know that there are several that are typically used for food contact surfaces, but the one I chose was a Chestnut product made for the purpose. I got mine from a local supplier called The Bedford Saw & Tool Co.

The photograph really doesn't do justice to the quality of the finish. It's given the pine board a really nice sheen.

So that's it. I've done wax, varnish and oil. All are easy to apply, and although it can seem tedious to do the finishing part to some, I find it quite relaxing to gently oil a piece of wood.

No comments: