Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Ally's woodwork project

Ally has been interested in having a go a a little woodwork project of her own ever since I gave her the chance to try cutting a dovetail on my toolbox.

We came up with a simple design for a writing slope that could also be used to raise a laptop and angle the keyboard at the same time. It will have a removable bean-bag cushion so that you can use it on your lap, or even when lying in bed!

Today she prepared the back and the sides and cut the dovetail joints. One went a bit awry, but we can solve that tomorrow without any trouble.

I'll post some pictures of her efforts.

Meanwhile I took the opportunity to make the tills for my toolbox. Using the same stock that Ally was using for her slope, I made a box using a rebate to join the sides to the front and back. I used my tenon jig to do this. I used 6mm ply for the skins that would eventually become the bottoms of the two drawers when I split the box.

No comments: