Saturday, August 09, 2008

Trying a new glue

I've been meaning to have a go at our dining chairs for some time. They've become a little loose in the joints with use and age, and I've fixed them before, but they've worked loose again. 

The problem is that they are not so loose that you can completely dismantle the chair, clean the joints out, and reassemble them. So you always end up with some sort of compromise, which is probably why they work loose again quite quickly.

So, when I saw this stuff called "Chair Doctor" on a website, I thought I should give it a try.

It comes with a syringe and three different sized, non-sharp, needles for injecting the glue into the joints. Now our chairs are just beech chairs that we bought when we bought our large pine table. I'm not worried therefore about the etiquette of repairing old joints, I just want chairs that don't creak and come apart.

Turning the chair upside down, I checked which joints were loose and which were not. I injected some of the glue into the loose joints and then used a mallet to knock the joints back together. I also took the precaution of adding some glue to all the other joints whilst I was at it, and where I could.

At the moment the chairs are being left to dry.

This glue is a low viscosity glue, which simply means it's very runny, so using the syringe is far less messy than trying to use the bottle. Believe me, I tried it!

The glue is supposed to swell the end grain and make a more secure joint. time will tell, but if you've got wobbly chairs, you might want to try Chair Doctor too.

No comments: