Friday, August 08, 2008

The internet and woodwork

The Internet is a fascinating world. Over the last couple of months, as I've explored woodworking, the Internet has been an invaluable resource. I've found all sorts of tool suppliers, read about a few local companies, watched a few videos and even explored some design software.

Discovering the woodtreks website has been one of the highlights. Some great videos, especially watching someone like Craig Vandell Stevens cut a dovetail in a way I've never seen before. I actually went out and tried his method and found it easier and faster than the traditional way I was taught to cut them in school. Even Ally found it easy to lean this way of making them.

I suspect that even without the Internet I'd still have made something, but it certainly generated a few ideas. even the toolbox was something I saw on the web.

The Internet has certainly come a long way since the early days I remember when you could spend 30 minutes looking for something and finding nothing! 

No comments: