Sunday, June 29, 2008

I was looking for that!

It took all day, it was dirty and dusty at times, but it was worth it. We tidied the shed! It's one of those jobs that needs regular maintenance, but rarely gets it. Stuff accumulates. 

It's amazing to see all the things that I've kept because they might be useful one day. I've only fitted three kitchens in my life, but the quantity of left-over bits, screws and pins is impressive. Most are useless in truth, but some aren't. I've actually had "shelf supports" on my shopping list for some time but yesterday I found enough for the job to be done. Aside from that, I decided I really didn't need assorted colours of screw caps and hinge covers.

My other great accumulation is tools. When my father died I inherited many of his tools, and so my collection grew. But I already had a lot. I can't really bring myself to get rid of any of them. But then again, who really needs two power drills, three sanders and a dozen assorted wood chisels?

However, it was fun looking through the various toolboxes and finding my very first hand drill, bought at the market in Nottingham when I was about 11 or 12, and my first hand saw, also bought at the same market. Big thanks to to Anne, who sat sorting bags and boxes of screws into some sort of order. 

One day I'll take the plunge and sort out exactly what is useful and what I need and donate the rest to something like Twam (Tools with a mission) so that new life can be breathed into some old tools. Given that is takes about 7 toolboxes of various sizes to hold all the tools I've got, it could take some time!

No comments: