Monday, June 16, 2008

The iMac has landed

So, my desk has taken another change with the arrival of an iMac earlier today.

I have to say that I was somewhat apprehensive of the new arrival. How would the set up go? How much time would I need to set aside to keep track of everything? Would I be able to find all the drivers and software licence keys? 

Well I needn't have worried. Just plug the MacBook into the firewire connection and go and have a chat with a visiting friend whilst the two Macs made friends with each other. It took quite a while, but eventually my iMac had all my data and all my software installed and running.

Unfortunately my modem seemed to stop working for some reason, but a spare one was sitting on the shelf and after a few quick cable swaps, I was back on the internet and things were looking good.

I took the opportunity to add a hard drive to my Airport base station, but that's not the most reliable connection. Even as I write, the disk has disappeared from my desktop, and I'm not sure I like Time Machine. All those hourly back-ups seem so unhelpful for me personally speaking. Once a day would be fine, and I can do that in other ways, so I may turn off Time Machine and just schedule a once a day back up.

The next thing will be keeping the two machines synchronised. 

What was nice was how easy it was to import the two "hacks" I'd created to synchronise my mobile 'phone. I've blogged about the Nokia 6085 and Samsung E250 before as I recall, but being able simply to drag and drop the files from the MacBook to the iMac was as straightforward as it should be. Of course there may be problems synching my Palm and 'phone with the iMac given that they are usually synched with the Macbook. I'll see what happens.

Breaking news... Time Machine has just fired up for it's hourly back up and remounted the disk, so that's okay.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the iMac. It's nice to have a full sized screen to look at again, and a keyboard to use that has a forward delete key on it!

No comments: