Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Sabbatical Reading

Two new books dropped through my letter-box yesterday. Vintage Jesus, by Mark Driscoll and The Forgotten Ways by Alan Hirsch. I'm not planning a great long reading list, but I do like to read and the sabbatical gives me a little more time to do so.

I decided to start with Vintage Jesus. It's basically an apologetics book, setting out the basics of Christian faith from an evangelical perspective. Three or four chapters in, it's a fairly straightforward read. Not everyone will appreciate Driscoll's style, but you can't really argue with the Biblical basis of what he is saying. It's good solid stuff.

Alan Hirsch came onto my radar as I began to explore the concept of the missional church. I'm not sure where I first heard the phrase "missional church" being used, but I recently decided to do a little searching out of the term and that's when I came across The Forgotten Ways and decided it might be worth a look. Twenty years ago I wrote a paper at college about reinvolving the church in mission, reflecting on the commissioning statements of Jesus and the place they should have in the life of the church. You might say then that missional church has been on my heart for a good long time.

4 comments:

brad brisco said...

Hey Richard, I ran across your blog via google alerts this morning. I loved Hrisch's TFW. We have used the book twice for a chapter by chapter book discussion for church planters. It has always been a very profitable time. I would also recommend Guder's "The Missional Church" for more on the missional issue. Blessings!

Richard said...

Hi Brad

Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll add that to my wish list!

Scott Linklater said...

Richard - thanks for the rocommendation. I hope the sabbatical is going well!

Anonymous said...

Love Hirsch's challenging and provocative material. I had the blessing of designing his website for The Forgotten Ways. It's not great, but it was special getting to connect with him in that way.