Friday, June 13, 2008

Too many labels

As I continue to think about and read about missional church, it seems that three key words keep popping up. Missional is one, attractional and incarnational are the others. 

Labels are helpful when they are used to describe a set of values or an approach or style but not helpful when they become a target. I think all three of these words have value in describing the church as it should be. 

The only one that appears to be out of place when you look at the early church might be attractional. But then again, there was something about the early church life that drew people towards it, and that surely would count as attractional (albeit not in the sense that some use that word today).

Another thing that intrigues me is the balance between asserting the mission mandate of the church to go and make disciples with the other NT imperative to come and see. It's a delicate balancing act to keep things in perspective and not set one or other understanding of the church above all others. 

I'm hoping that my time away from church will give me the opportunity to try and put these pieces together in a way that will help the local church I serve to better understand what it means to follow Jesus and serve him in our 21st century setting.

No comments: