Thursday, June 19, 2008

Ongoing Sabbatical Reflections

With all this time on my hands I've come to realise that there are probably way too many things rushing around my ageing brain for me to think clearly about any of them. I need therefore some way to process them. A sense a little brain GTD is in order. Actually using something along the lines of GTD isn't necessarily a bad way of sifting through it all rather than keeping it crammed in my mind. After all, a sabbatical should be a time of letting go and setting one's mind free to process one's ideas rather than wander aimlessly through a landscape of half finished thoughts.

At the risk though of only having half finished thoughts, here are my current three big questions:

#1 How is my relationship with God? It's that old question of "how is it with my soul?" I'm reading through the Blackaby book I mentioned in a previous post, and that is proving useful (although I know at least one reviewer has some serious doubts about the book, but more of that at a later date possibly).

#2 How is my ministry shaping up in the light of the future and resent challenges of being and doing church? 

#3 What shape of church do we need to become in order to meet the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead of us? Interestingly Experiencing God has opened up a few questions in this area. I'm also reading Alan Hirsch's The Forgotten Ways.

Over the next week my plan is to formulate some questions within each of these areas and think about how I can most effectively reflect on each one. 

As I sat down to write this post, it was going to be about the questions that are rising to the surface about church, but I'll do that in another post.

No comments: