Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Welcome to July

So, I'm now into my second month of my sabbatical. The first month has gone very quickly. My plans to build the blanket box and wardrobe may have to be delayed as I put in some more practice at the woodworking bench. I don't want to start something that I'll always be disappointed with because of poor skills that I know I can improve. 

Yesterday I spent the morning tidying our utility room, which included building a simple timber frame in which I can hang the recycling bags. It's rather nice to have had a simple idea and being able, and having the time, to fabricate it. This is the joy of being on sabbatical, it gives you the time to do things that otherwise would get squeezed out of a typical schedule. 

During the normal run of things, with one day off a week, and lots of meetings, there's little time to do all the things one would want to do. Of course this isn't any different to the calendars with which everyone typically works. Retirement beckons simply in order to fit everything in!

I hope that this month I might be able to combine some relaxing woodworking with some walking and some reading too. It seems I need just as organised an approach to being restful as I do for being busy.

1 comment:

Scott Linklater said...

Isn't it ironic that we need to work at relaxing?