Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Little Decluttering

There is something quite satisfying about going to the household recycling centre with a boot-load of stuff that you should have dumped years ago. Today was such a day. 

Anne and I, mostly Anne, attacked the fourth bedroom in our home. It's where we keep a lot of things that don't have a proper home. There are paperback books and maps and photographs and more books and toys from Ally's younger years.

Some things brought back many memories and being ruthless about what to keep gets harder as the junk pile grows. There's a picture I've had since I was 17, cassette tapes of radio shows from the early eighties, and a thousand unsorted photographs and slides. I also found a bag of things I made for doing talks at school assemblies. 

I envy those folk who don't seem to accumulate anything at all. How they do it I just don't know. Perhaps one day I'll work it out and we won't have to have days like today. On the other hand there's a sense of a life lived as you sort through things you don't really need but somehow they inform your life and jog your memory.

And, by the way, we recycled as much as we could.

2 comments:

Scott Linklater said...

What was the thing you found when cleaning out rooms that you said, "why in the world did I keep this?"

Richard said...

I'd have to say that top of the list would be all the self-adhesive door stops for kitchen cabinets and screw covers. I had a small box full of the things and they are truly useless.

What amazes me is how much stuff one can accumulate without really trying.