Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Router table

Here's my router table, complete with the nvr switch.

Adjusting the depth of cut and the fence is a little tricky, but it's quite manageable, it just takes time.

I ran a couple of rebates on a test piece and I also cut a simple groove in another sample piece. Concentration and not rushing are clearly the key to getting a good result, so a bit of practice is called for.

To mount the router I had to find the right sized bolts and cut them to length. Mounting the router was a three handed job, but I managed with the two I have. It was just a bit exasperating, especially when I dropped one of my nice new brass bolts into the grass and spent 10 minutes looking for it!

One tip I learnt from an engineer at the laboratory where I first worked was that when cutting bolts always put the nut on first. Then, when the cut is finished, file the cut end smooth and slightly domed shaped. Then unwind the nut, which will re-cut the thread as it goes.

I've thought about how to add dust extraction. I've cut a v-shaped end on a piece of sink waste that I'll glue to the fence and to which I hope I can attach a vacuum hose. Tesco have a vacuum cleaner for £15 which should do the trick. On the other hand I might splash out £40 for a bagless one!

No comments: