Thursday, July 24, 2008

Improving my swimming

As some regular readers may know I learnt to swim a couple of years ago. In the two years that have passed two things have continued to evade my grasp. Firstly getting to grips with figuring out how to breath as I swim. Only being able to go as far as I can on a single breath has been a source of great frustration.

Secondly, I've never been able to swim with my head out of the water, which I know is not the best way to swim, but it's just something I haven't been able to do. 

The inability to swim in this inefficient way is one of the reasons I never learnt to swim in the first place. I just sank.

Anyway, while we were on holiday I managed to swim a little bit of breast-stoke both with and without my head in the water. I thought this was because of the salt water pool aiding buoyancy. But here's the exciting thing (exciting for me anyway), Ally and I went swimming today and I managed to do several lengths of the 13m pool breast-stroke! Quite an achievement for me, and one which gives me great pleasure. I can't wait to go again and do some more practising.

No comments: