Thursday, July 24, 2008

The cutting edge


The one thing about woodwork that will always remain true is that you can't get far without sharp tools and putting a sharp edge on a tool is a work of art that eludes most casual woodworkers most of the time. I can get a sharp edge, but it often takes me far longer than it should. I've tried all sorts of approaches including guides and freehand. 

Yesterday I gave the Trend Fastrack system a try with some success. 

The block plane I sharpened came out really well, but most of my other tools are quite old and have been ground and sharpened many times. So much so  that the primary bevel needs regrinding and that takes a lot of work with the basic set up that comes with the kit. I suspect that if I get a more coarse starting stone things would be better in terms of reconditioning older tools.

Overall the jury is still out on this jig.

I also watched a video of a tool called Worksharp, but it's not yet available in the UK. The other approach that was new to me, and looked worth a try was a simple system using a guide and sandpaper to produce an edge so sharp the guy in the video shaved his arm with it!

Watch it if you want:


No comments: