Thursday, June 11, 2009

Woodturning Course

I've spent most of the day doing the first part of a wood-turning course, learning all about how to sharpen a gouge and practising with all sorts of tools on a lump of tree that was cut down only last week! 

After that I was given a nice piece of Sycamore to turn into a bowl. It's quite a challenge to learn how to control the cutting edge of a turning tool, but hopefully practice will make perfect! I'm really grateful to Trevor, David's grandfather for letting me have a go on his lathe, and the course is adding to my desire to give turning a decent go.

I'm the only one on the course, so I'm getting individual attention. I guess the tutor must get quite bored only having one student!

Tomorrow's project is going to be a candlestick, so we will see how that turns out (excuse the pun!)

No comments: