Thursday, June 04, 2009

Tool Chest Project (update 2)

 Final update from the workshop! 

I made my runners, rounded over the front ends using a sanding drum attachment for my power drill. I had the drill in the stand and used a small platform to provide a flat, stable surface from which to work. The only problem was that the sanding drum sheet kept riding up off the rubber cylinder. 

I can't see how to fix this, so it's a bit disappointing, but I managed to get the job done. Perhaps a big washer that overhangs the rubber drum would do the trick. It's the first time I've used it and I did wonder id this might happen.

I pre-drilled pilot holes for the panel pins that hold the runners in place. They are also glued in!

After that I dry assembled the whole think and fitted the drawers. There was, and still is, a little bit of adjusting that needs doing. But everything fitted together.

So now it's all glued up and the drawers are eased and have their cleats fitted ready for the locking mechanism to be made.

So that's the end of today, and I'll get back to it in a couple of weeks time. Next week I'm off to learn more about wood-turning, so I dare say there will be more woody blogs after that.

No comments: