Friday, August 06, 2010

Waiting for a delivery

So, today should be an exciting day. Amongst all the usual Friday tasks connected with the coming weekend, I'm awaiting a couple of deliveries and have one collection to make. The collection is my new glasses. I've been struggling for a while and booked an eye test two weeks ago. Turned out my current specs were too weak for reading and too strong for distance! Hopefully the new ones will solve the problems and I'll be able to see a little more clearly again, although I don't think my catching will improve!

A few weeks ago we were playing rounders and I became very aware that I just wasn't able to catch with the ease that I used to be able to do it when I was 30 years younger! Even though I say so myself, I took some pretty spectacular catches when I was a regular cricketer. I guess you just lose the ability to adjust quickly enough and get your hands in the right position.

Anyway, back to my exciting Friday. You won't be surprised to discover that one of the deliveries will include a few books. I'm searching out some resources for the Autumn, and there are a couple of study guides on John's Gospel that might arrive today. I've spent a lot of time on and off over the last 20 years trying to work out how to preach through John's Gospel while doing justice to its structure. I still haven't figured it, but we're going to work through it in the Autumn by looking at the people Jesus meets as the story unfolds. These guides might help us connect Sundays and small groups more effectively. The big idea for the autumn is to try and integrate things in order to support spiritual growth.

We will see how it goes.

The other delivery is a new printer. I've got a reasonable laser printer in my study, but I saw an opportunity to explore wireless printing with the potential added benefit of a scanner and copier all-in-one machine. I've got some documents that I could do with scanning, and while I would love to be able to buy something like the Fujitsui document scanner, I really can't justify the outlay. So a compromise is to try a multi-function printer with a document feeder and scanner built in. It will save me having to get the flatbed scanner out and do each page individually and it will enable me to print photographs too.

I've gone for an Officejet 6500 from HP, which seems to have a reasonable set of reviews. I've always liked HP printers every since I bought my first Deskjet way back in 1990 something. I'm probably paying less today for a full colour multi-function machine than I did for the black and white Deskjet I bought back then!

No comments: