Monday, August 16, 2010

Am I worth all that?

The gospels all provide details about the death of Jesus. It is, after all, a central feature of the story. They all talk about what happened and the things Jesus did and said in those final hours of life. About being mocked yet offering forgiveness and hope; being taunted yet not responding; the sense of separation and abandonment; the cry of completion.

Mark has his own little take as the centurion declares, "Surely this man was the Son of God", a clear echo of the opening of his gospel account.

But this is not just about narrative styles and content. This is the Son of God dying. The immortal and invisible God become mortal and dies. No pretending, no clever tricks. A real life ended by a cruel death.

Can I possibly be worth all of that? Jesus certainly thought so. As for me, my best response is not to question it, (that Jesus thought I was worth it), but to embrace it, to accept it, to receive it, to live it.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: