Saturday, July 18, 2009

When buzzards attack!

There are days when a story pops into the news and quite amuses me. Now given that no lasting damage appears to have been done, I feel it is safe to share with you the shocking story of the jogger attacked by a buzzard in Cornwall.

According to the BBC news website Stuart Urquhart was swooped upon as he jogged along a quite lane in Cornwall. He suffered three 6cm gashes to his head. Apparently this is not the first time it's happened. Cyclists have also come under attack from large birds in and around Devon and Cornwall.

I love Mr Urquhart's observation that maybe the buzzard mistook him for a slow moving rabbit. He bought a sun hat, presumably to confuse the bird on future runs.

Apparently experts believe, "buzzards which attack may be protecting a nest or have once been in captivity and are used to people." Not that used to them then!

Having been swooped on when walking and followed, as against chased, by cattle, and having my lunch investigated by a curious horse, I can empathise with Mr Urquhart. I do hope the perils of being stalked by wild animals doesn't put him off!

No comments: