Friday, July 10, 2009

Torchwood

So we finally got to the final episode of Torchwood tonight. I think the announcement that we were about to watch the final, jaw-dropping episode was overstating the case somewhat. I'm not convinced that the programme really knows what it's trying to be. Is it adult themed science fiction or just Doctor Who for the post-watershed viewer?

I guess my problem is that I have zero empathy with all the characters. That leaves me somewhat ambivalent to the outcomes. The other thing that doesn't sit comfortably is the rather unsubtle moralising. I think they could have raised the issue of child deaths and posed the questions about how we make choices in a more sagacious way.

On the other hand it's good to know that the Make Poverty History Campaign has reached outer space. When aliens start quoting figures about child mortality we really should take notice!!

No comments: