Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The missionary heart

The missionary heart:

Cares more than some think is wise
Risks more than some think is safe
Dreams more than some think is practical
Expects more than some think is possible


I've come across these words in several places, but can't remember where I first heard them. As far as I know the original phrases are attributed to Howard Shultz, the businessman who heads up Starbucks. I don't think he had "the missionary heart" in mind when he first made these observations!

But they remain an interesting overview and I wonder how well they ought or do describe my own heart. There are times when my caring has proved unwise, at least in some eyes, and there are times my dreams are beyond some definitions of practical.

While I'm not risk-averse I'm not sure I'm a big risk taker. Maybe it's more a case of trying to discern Holy Spirit inspired risks.

So how does your heart measure up?

No comments: