Sunday, February 17, 2008

What happens when we preach?

There has been a small discussion once again about the place of the sermon in modern church life. Are they too long for the modern mind? Whilst I'm not advocating long sermons for the sake of it, it does seem to me that one of the things that needs to be considered in the sermon is the opportunity for God to interact with preacher and congregation alike.

Over the years I've prepared and made notes in all sorts of ways. I've preached well and badly, with and without notes. The older I get the more script-like my notes have become. I think that's because I'm increasingly aware of the importance of every word I use and every point I'm trying to make. So, I'm just becoming more careful, not leaving it to chance that I will remember that neat turn of phrase that came to mind on Wednesday afternoon. 

What hasn't changed is the way in which I sense that God takes my preparation and uses it in ways I haven't imagined. As I preach I feel the nudge of God to read something or share a story not in my plan. Take today for example. Our current theme is all about characters. We've studied Joseph, Esther and Abraham. Today we looked at Peter. It just so happened that today was also communion and, as I took us through the preparation and experience of sharing the bread and cup together I sensed God point me towards the story of the foot washing. I hadn't planned this, to be honest I hadn't even given a thought in my preparation for some reason. 

But as I stood in front of the congregation I sensed the pull of God's Spirit to read the story. So I had a quick, silent read as the bread and wine were being distributed and as we came to a quiet moment after the wine, I began to read. 

We had already explored Peter's beginnings as a fisherman and the change Jesus promised about becoming a fisher of men. We'd reflected on the highs and lows of Peter the one who walked on water and the one who denied Jesus. We'd seen him at his best and his worst. We looked also at his reinstatement and the simple, non-accusing question of Jesus, "Peter do you love me?"

So, as I read the story from John 13 it became clear that the one thing God wanted us to remember was that no matter what mistakes he made Peter was above all clean.  

I'm not suggesting that we would not have reached that point through a ten-minute sermon, well prepared and well delivered. I'm just saying that because we give ourselves time we also give ourselves the opportunity to connect with God and hear what he has to say in that moment of sacred space where the Spirit of God touches the hearts of ordinary human beings.

I'm afraid that if we move too far towards settling for short attention spans, we loose the chance to dwell. Given how little people remember of our sermons, perhaps it's the dwelling that's the most important aspect of preaching not the length of time it takes to present it.

Having said that, I do remember Steve Gaukroger once saying, "I'm not going to bore you with a long sermon today, because I'm quite capable of doing it with a short one!"

No comments: