Thursday, February 14, 2008

How do I remain in Jesus?

If you remain in me, and I remain in you, you will bear much fruit and glorify my Father in heaven.
This verse caught my eye as I sit at my desk thinking about the sermon for Sunday. It has nothing to do with Sunday's theme, but it's on a piece of paper tacked to my wall. I think it was last year, maybe early summer, when I decided to spend a day reflecting with God on church and life and connecting the two. I scribbled random thoughts and ideas down on a flip-chart, and this verse was one of those thoughts. I haven't the checked the wording for accuracy, it is as it came to mind that day.

Anyway, it caught my eye again today and I thought, "Why don't I do a series on remaining in Jesus?" So I might. I began to scribble a few ideas down in my notebook set aside for future preaching themes. But what does it mean to remain in Jesus? When you hear that phrase what runs through your mind? I began to think about different words that might connect with remaining, here's my list, what would you add?

Remain: abide, dwell, rest, make your home, commit your long-term future, put down roots, prioritise, focus, follow closely, abandon selfish goals and ambitions for the sake of the kingdom, get to really know-deeply, passionately, unconditionally....

Does this fit with a Biblical view of remaining? What would Jesus have said were the one, two or three key elements of remaining?

No comments: