Wednesday, February 20, 2008

How does God feel about me?

I'm currently preaching a series on various characters in the Bible. This coming Sunday it's David. Having just done Peter, it's interesting to do another great character who was flawed and made mistakes, and yet, because of the grace of God, still found a place in his purposes and plans. But then again how many biblical character wouldn't you describe that way?

I do not believe that there is ever such a thing as God's second best for us. The grace of God can take all our errors and bring about something that will glorify and honour God's name.

Anyway, as I think about David and some of the things I might include on Sunday I was reminded of a quote we used at Christmas in our Carol Service. There's a great Max Lucado book called One Incredible Moment, that contains extracts from many of his other books around the theme of Christmas. Near the beginning, in fact it may be the first chapter, he says this:
Here is what we want to know. We want to know how long God's love will endure... Does God really love us forever? Not just on... Sunday when our shoes are shined and our hair is fixed. We want to know... how does God feel when I'm a jerk? Not when I'm peppy and positive and ready to tackle world hunger. Not then. I know how he feels about me then. Even I like me then.
I want to know how he feels about me when I snap at anything that moves, when my thoughts are gutter-level, when my tongue is sharp enough to slice a rock. How does he feel about me then?...

No comments: