Saturday, February 09, 2008

Tip for the joy of it

I'm always intrigued in a restaurant when people start trying to work out what tip to leave. So, further to my last post pointing to the piece about how the "Sunday crowd" are perceived by those who serve, let me share with you something I picked up from a friend of mine.

I have a card the size of a business card when folded with a simple message of thanks in it. The point is not the message or the card, but the thank you. I've always been taught to be polite, and anyone who knows the British at their best will know that we even apologise when it's not our fault, and say thank you even when there's not much to say thank you about. I grew up being polite. I still open doors for other people, mainly because I can hear my mother's voice telling me to hold the door for someone.  

So when it comes to leaving a tip after a meal, I really want to be generous. In an odd way my little thank you card helps me to do that. It's a useful way of reminding myself that while this might be their job, they are serving me, and I want to honour that.

So, if you are going out for lunch on Sunday, or dinner on Saturday, or maybe for Valentine's, then be a generous if not extravagant tipper and put a smile on a waiter or waitress's face. 

No comments: