Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Three-Ninety-Fifty

One of my favourite questions comes from Bill Bright, the founder of Campus Crusade. Apparently he used to ask this question of the staff at CC. I don't know if he only asked it once or if he asked it consistently, but it is becoming a question I've asked a lot and a question other people around the church are beginning to ask too.

And the question is:

What three things can we do in the next ninety days that will make a fifty percent difference?

Trying asking yourself that question in whatever setting you're in today and see what you come up with. It could be a productivity issue, a ministry issue or even a personal growth issue. I've used it in a lot of settings and it has helped me focus my attention on the positive thing or things I can do rather than the negatives of what I can't do.

I rather suspect too that there are some minor variations that you could use from time to time. For example, Ally, my daughter, has a lot of coursework and home to complete at the moment and it can seem overwhelming. I guess she could ask herself the same question but make it 90 hours instead of days. It's almost GTD-like in that it focuses your attention of the next action you can take to move a given project along.

No comments: