Thursday, October 01, 2009

Just making conversation

It's an odd thing being a new minister in a new area. You begin to meet people and you wonder what you should say about what you do. Well at least I do. I'm aware, for example, that if I answer a question about my job during a haircut, it's best to wait until the scissors are away from my hair. The nervous twitch that announcing you work in a church can produce could create an unwanted style change.

So it was interesting this morning to be in my local nationally franchised coffee shop when an opportunity to say what I do came up. There was a small group of folk sitting outside and I was asked if I was part of that meeting. Just general chit-chat that happens while you are waiting to pay for your fruit smoothie (I don't drink coffee but I like the smell!)

"Actually I'm not part of that group," I said, and then a moment passed when I wondered if I should add any more. I did.

Now before I describe what happened next I should tell you that I've been thinking about the whole Cafe Church thing and Neil Cole's organic church model. The first time I saw the shop I wondered about the possibility and how you go about approaching the manager etc.

Back to the conversation.

"I'm the new minister of the Baptist Church," I added. It turns out that the barista goes to another local church and is very interested in the cafe church idea. I also discovered that another local church leader is interested and that the manager was in the shop this morning.

Well I didn't talk with him because I thought I ought to talk with the other church leader and maybe come up with a coordinated plan. But how interesting that such a small thing should open up such a wide possibility.

It makes me realise even more clearly that the church has to get out of its buildings and into ordinary places, third place, where an incarnational faith can become a reality.

No comments: