Sunday, June 27, 2010

Reliving old holidays

When I was growing up, we spent several summer holidays with my Aunt and Uncle in Swanage, Dorset. Well, this last week we've been staying on a farm in the New Forest and not too far away from there.

So we decided, or at least I proposed and everyone else agreed, that we spent a day in and around Swanage and Corfe. we took the chain ferry from Sandbanks, another nostalgia moment, and drove into the old town. Nothing much had changed. Obviously some shops had come and gone, but many familiar things were still there. The British Legion Club across the street from where my Aunt and Uncle lived, the Mowlem restuarant where my Aunt once apologiesd to some people she didn't know because of the noise we were making. We were laughing about something or other and she simply turned around and said, "I'm every so sorry about the noise, it's my sister-in-law, she's omly visiting us." Needless to say, we laughed even louder.

Then we went up to see the Tilly Whim caves, a favourite place all those years ago! I remember getting to see around the lighthouse one day, and exploring the caves too. The caves were closed to the public in 1976.

Here's the lighthouse.

From there we drove over the Corfe Castle and looked around the model village and the ruined castle.

I can't remember what age I was, but I do remember spending the day at Corfe taking photographs on an old Kodak Instamatic. One of the pictures I took was of the model castle with the real one in the background. The trees have all grown now, so it's a little more difficult to take the same photograph, but you can still do it.

Perhaps if I search through all the old photo's I'll come across the original one I took over 40 years ago!

The model village is a wonderful work of art.

No comments: