Monday, December 07, 2009

Who am I?

Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?
2Sam. 7:18


David's question is brutally honest. I don't think he's asking it in the way we sometimes ask. The depressive, woe is me way we might frame such a question. I think he is just asking out of sheer amazement that God could have such a high view of someone like himself.

We've been doing a series about people at church. Just ordinary folk who made mistakes, poor choices and bad decisions. But God remained faithful in the face of their frailty and still used them and blessed.

When I have one of those days when I feel useless and out of place in God's work, I choose to remember that despite my best efforts, God chose me and loved me and called me. And before he ever called me to do anything, he called be to be something. First and foremost I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. That will never change. Anything else comes second. Ministry comes second. Mission comes second. Preaching and pastoring come second. If I am not a follower of Jesus, then I am nothing.

So when I ask, "Who am I Lord, that you have brought me this far?" it's more a question of wonder that the God who created and sustains the universe is concerned for me and has something he wants me to do for him.

No comments: