Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sacred space/missional space

So the two questions are these: Are we creatively using our sacred space and making it missional? Are we taking space in our community and making it sacred? It's in this intersection where Jesus becomes real to us, and to our neighbors through us.

These are great questions, especially if you are on the edge of making some major decisions about buildings as we are going to be in the next year or so.

How we invest, where we invest and why we invest are all big questions. These two questions are raised in an article that you can read on the Leadership Journal part of the Christianity Today website.

I've been thinking about sacred space in the community, it's one of the main reasons I go to Costa Coffee on a regular basis. I'm not sure how much my being there turns a coffee shop into sacred space, but I'll keep going until I figure it out!

I was thinking the other day about one of the empty units on the high street and whether it cold be turned into an art gallery, a space for reflection. So often our normal Christian response to the high street is to open a book shop, but we all know that these days bookshops, particularly Christian bookshops are struggling. So why not something different?

How else might we create sacred space in the market place?

No comments: