Thursday, April 16, 2009

Not so simple

A word of thanks to all the people, and I mean all the people, to whom I spoke this afternoon at O2.

A couple of days ago I decided to swap from "Pay As You Go" to a contract for my mobile 'phone. Contrary to popular belief I wasn't doing it to get an iPhone although under the right circumstances I might be tempted.  I opted for the web offer of a simplicity SIM at just under £20 a month. For that I get 800 minutes of call time and an inordinate number of texts (1600 as I recall). In fact I could send 56 text messages a day and still not use up the whole allowance! To that I was able to add a free "Bolt On" and I chose free landline calls in the UK. 

So far so good. 

The O2 website also clearly states that you can easily transfer your number from your prep-pay 'phone to your contract SIM. Just call customer services and they'll take care of you. So I did, and it has to be said eventually they did.

I did have to speak to five people to get there, but we got there in the end. The worrying thing is that as I got passed from one person to the next it became obvious that there are many departments in O2 and not all of them read the website. It came as quite a surprise to one employee that you didn't need a PAC code to swap numbers, something the website makes very clear.

Finally I spoke to the calm and collected Tony who made the process really easy. I now just wait for the transfer to happen, which should take place in the next 24 to 48 hours.

So here's hoping that when my 'phone goes dead, it will spring to life soon afterwards with a shiny new contract and no more top ups in the rain outside Tescos!

No comments: