Monday, March 16, 2009

SMS from the Dashboard

Because I came to Mac after the launch of Leopard, I was never aware of Tiger's useful ability to send SMS messages from Address Book. But when I was told about this, I thought it was worth seeing if anyone had produced a plug-in or widget that would give me that option in OS X.

Of course there was. We are, after all, talking Macs here!

Enter emitSMS. EmitSMS is a dashboard widget that does exactly what I wanted. Either by choosing a contact from your address book or by typing in the number directly, you can send short or long messages via your mobile 'phone using the Bluetooth connection. And the cost of the message is just the standard network cost.

I have a Nokia 6085 and it works fine. Although of  course I had to create the original phone plug-in for iSync which may or may not be relevant. Perhaps, because it's only the Bluetooth connection, it might work with any phone, but there are no promises. It was originally developed for the developers own Nokia mobile.

There is an application available from Novamind called phoneplugins that probably supports more 'phones and offers more options and only costs about €12.

1 comment:

Richard said...

For some reason, even with all the same settings, I can't get this widget to work on my iMac. Hmm. Wonder why that could be? It reports the port as being busy.

But it works fine with the MacBook.