Friday, March 20, 2009

Buses, adverts and humour

On "The Now Show" on BBC Radio 4 recently, one of the comedians had a pop at Christians over the atheist bus ads again. I do get tired of the cheap laughs derived from faith bashing, but it's just part of our culture, and we do give them plenty of fuel.

It also has to be said that we do our fair share of laughing at the humanists and atheists.

So, off the top of my head, here are my ten reasons not to complain about the atheist bus adverts.

1. It's funny.
2. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. If we stop these adverts then we will have to stop Alpha from advertising too.
3. It's focusing on the wrong thing.
4. It makes us look like narrow-minded fools more that it makes us look like anything else.
5. God does not seem that concerned. Is God not more concerned with how to reach people than how to judge them?
6. If it provokes discussion isn't that a good thing?
7. Self-righteousness is not an attractive quality.
8. I'd rather be known as being for grace than against atheism.
9. Why rise to the bait?
10. How can we draw people towards God if we are constantly erecting barriers to keep them out.

1 comment:

Phil St said...

Yep I have to say I agree with all 10 reasons..there are probablly others but I think 10 is enough!