Friday, March 13, 2009

The joy of direct mail

Like everybody I know, I don't particularly like junk mail. If every insurance company and utility company could save me the money they say they can, in three years time they should all be paying me to take their product rather than the other way around. Just occasionally though you have to laugh.

Today's post brought the following direct mail-shot from a denominational insurance company:

Introducing our new home insurance policy...
At (company name) we know that everyone's home is different and we don't believe one size fits all when it comes to home insurance.

This is just as well because the person to whom the letter is addressed has never lived in our house! If it's the David Russell I know, he lives in Berkhamsted and has never graced the open fields of Bedfordshire. At least not to my knowledge.

On the other hand, should I be worrying that he's planning to move in? Or worse still, that he's taken to giving out my address in order to avoid dealing with his own post. Just like gravy, the plot thickens.

I suppose it might just be that this particular insurance company is so forward thinking that it allows you to insure your contents in a cheaper postcode just to keep the cost down.

1 comment:

Phil St said...

Hi Richard, apologies for gatecrashing your comments like this but what with my old laptop dying etc etc I seem to have lost your email address and so I figured this might be the best way of getting in touch. Quite a bit has changed with us, like the fact I don't have a guide dog anymore and we're looking to move to Birmingham. Drop me an email (phil at thestephensons.org) and can tell you more!!