Friday, March 13, 2009

Inspired and thoughtful

I'm a contemporary worship person myself, although I'm not averse to using hymns, they are just darn difficult to play on the guitar. And I'm not so protective of either resource to ignore the fact that there are as many poor excuses for worship songs as there are poor examples of hymns.

But every so often I'm reminded of the thoughtfulness of many of the old hymn writers as they crafted a song to express theological truth and heartfelt worship. I think many of the modern-day worship writers are trying to do the same, and often they succeed only to be thwarted by the way we over sing and under think their songs.

Anyway today, at a local conference in which I was privileged to take part, we were pointed to a Frances Ridley Havergal song: Take my life. Whilst it can often sound a bit of a dirge when you hear it sung, the words are testimony to the art of thoughtful worship writing. 

We are taken through a series of acts of submission as everything about us is given over to God. Hands, feet, voice, lips, silver, intellect, will and heart are all committed to God's purposes. All these constituent parts are submitted to God wrapped up in the context of "my life, consecrated Lord to thee" and " myself... ever, only, all for thee.

And if you don't know the words, here they are in full. You might even want to make it your prayer for the weekend.


Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move at the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee.

Take my voice, and let me sing always, only, for my King.
Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold; not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect, and use every power as Thou shalt choose.

Take my will, and make it Thine; it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own; it shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love, my Lord, I pour at Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself, and I will be ever, only, all for Thee.

No comments: