Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Looking for accounts software for the Mac

Previously I had a look at Money Dance as a replacement for Microsoft Money, the accounts package I was using on my PC. Sadly I found the colour balance in Money Dance difficult, being a chromatically challenged person as I am!

For a long time I gave up the search and just kept using Money on my laptop. But it's inconvenient to have keep getting out the laptop, firing it up, waiting for it to try and search out all possible updates before finally opening Money and doing the accounts. Consequently I've slipped out of the habit of doing it and quite frankly that frustrates me.

So I thought another search was in order and came across two possibilities that I thought I might look at. Liquid Ledger was the first. It looks like the kind of package I'm used to using, although they are all slightly different. Second on the list is Checkbook from Splasm Software, and a third option that popped up as I checked the url's to paste in this post is iBank.

I have no experience of any of these, but might have a look at all three, starting with Liquid Ledger. Downloading the application was easy and installing it as straightforward as you'd expect. They provide you with a licence key for a 60-day trial, which in itself is a generous trial period. You also have the option of importing data via what is euphemistically called the industry standard QIF format. 

The problem is that in my experience, including Liquid Ledger, migrating from one package to another using this file format simply doesn't work. Is it me or is this par for the course? Going from Quicken to Money was just the same. You export the file, import it and voila, a total mess!

Argh, it's so frustrating! Accounts are wrongly named, balances have disappeared and transactions are all over the place. The bottom line is that it looks like I will have to start from scratch, and with 13 different accounts to set up, that takes a long time.

Does anybody have any suggestions, apart from going back to large notepad and pen!

3 comments:

The Suitcase Kid said...

If you wanted to go back to Quicken, they do a Mac version of the software to download and they also do an online app which is free.

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance/mac2007-personal-finance.jsp

http://quicken.intuit.com/online-banking-finances.jsp

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...

You might want to try this one:

www.clearbooks.co.ukIt's an online accounting software, free for small businesses and you can easily use it on Mac:

www.clearbooks.co.uk/static/free-accounting-softwareHope it helps :)