Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pursuing God or pursuing self?

As I continue to think about 2Peter 1:3 and the idea of having all we need for life and godliness, I was drawn to Col.2:17 where Paul makes a wonderfully profound statement that the reality however is found in Christ. It got me thinking.

It got me thinking about how much we shape our spirituality to suit our personalities and how little we invest in the practical discipline of studying the scriptures. We prefer a walk in the woods because we feel closer to God that way. But feelings can deceive.

How can we discover the reality that is found in Christ if our only pursuit of that reality ignores the Biblical narrative? Note I didn't say text, because I know that not everyone is able easily to access the text. But those of us who can, should access it as much as we can. We need both the experience of God and a deep, profound knowledge of God. Experience without knowledge leads to addiction. We need a bigger experience to maintain our sense of connectedness to God. Knowledge without experience becomes a dry intellectual pursuit of information without inner change. Experience and knowledge lead to a secure relationship where transformation can take place.

Study takes discipline and work, it takes effort. Ultimately it is always going to be worthwhile.

As Peter says:

make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Colin said...

Hi Richard

I think you make some important points here...but as a fellow traveller on a journey of faith and application, one thing I've felt is we often talk about what we should do...which gives the impression that we are doing this...which means others on the fringe or in early stages of journeying don't always feel able to ask and in this case specifically learn more about what study means, how this can be done effectively, or get help with any good practical tips.

I for one was challenged a while back - I've always aimed to keep books in general in good condition and avoided marking/writing in them...and I would never have considered making notes or marking a bible! But I was reminded that there is the potential for more application, learning and reflection if some kind of marking, journaling etc is used.

So study does take discipline...but thats aided if we can share experience and practical ideas to deepen the knowledge behind the practice and art of study.

Do you have any tips or ideas...from your our practice of study...or any good resources to help?

Richard said...

Hi Colin, welcome to the journey!

Personally I've just ordered a new copy of Search the Scriptures. I first came across this in the late 1970's and didn't realise it was still available.

As a systematic process of study it's a useful tool.

I've dipped into what is typically known as the inductive study method and I also use variation on syntax analysis, a posh way of describing how to lay out a passage. I'll try to post an example of that so that you can see what I mean.

Journalling is one of my personal passions for daily reflections and a good devotional book is always helpful.

I think the other thing I'd want to mention is outlining. I like to write my own outlines of Bible books rather than follow the commentaries. It makes me think about the content and how it's arranged.

Possibly one of the most useful books, if it's still in print, is "How to read the Bible for all it's worth" by Gordon Fee and someone else whose name escapes me.