Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Defining the role of the minister

I'm reading The Forgotten Ways by Alan Hirsch at the moment and I was struck by something he said about the role of apostolic ministry. It made me wonder about the role of the minister in the life of the local church.

So, here's an adaptation of something Hirsch says.

The role of the minister of the local church is to reawaken the people to the gospel and to embed it in the structures and framework of the life of the church in ways that are meaningful.

Any thoughts? It's got me pondering some things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just researching what that meaning might be, when your blog came up. It is interesting because there have been many thoughts about the mediators of spirituality in a broad human context. Standing far enough back one can see the role of shamans in society fulfilling a need for people to make sense of the world about.

There are many world views and many ways of understanding the universe.

I think what is meaningful to me in the words you have here, is that the role of a minister is to reawaken the people. If that reawakening does not occur then people are not able to totally take it in. I see it as living inspirationally. I would suppose from a Christian sense, the inspiration would have a Christian context.

I have also been studying structures and frameworks people live within, and how that forms their individual lives. The structures we live in, as far as I see it, form the perception or outlook on life.

If one takes the gospel to mean a spiritual context, then the reawakening to the spirit would be powerful, especially when people are assisted in being able to bring it into their day to day lives in a meaningful way. I believe that this is where most religions fail. It is like a still birth. It never came to fruition.

Spiritual awakening without a context to live in is like having a spirituality that has no momentum in the physical world.

Your paragraph was just what I needed to read.
:)