Monday, September 29, 2008

Back to Church Sunday

We didn't do "Back to Church Sunday" but I hope those who did had a good day. The truth is that the whole event passed me by, mainly because I let it pass me by. I always remember a colleague commenting on an initiative to invite folk back to church a number of years ago. The tag line then was "See how much we've changed". His comment was that it was because of the changes that they'd all left in the first place.

But there's something else that drew my attention to this year's event. A report on one website used the headline "Churches welcome back lapsed Christians". I find this a somewhat strange turn of phrase. Exactly how do you become a lapsed Christian? It makes the Christian life appear to be more like a gym membership or a library card. 

Did I become a lapsed Christian during my sabbatical because I didn't go to church very often? Is coming to church more important than reading my Bible, seeking to build my relationship with God, or sharing God's heart for the poor? How do we, why do we prioritise certain aspects of our understanding of living a life that pleases God over others? 

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't this kind of approach, the kind that assumes that not being in church is a sign of disconnection from God,  maybe the only sign, just pushing things a little too far.

Maybe it's just the realisation that a truly missional church, the kind of church I want so much to be part of, is less focused on getting people into the building than it is on getting the good news incarnated into the community. Don't get me wrong, I pray for growth in attendance at our worship celebration. A healthy celebration is a good thing, but only a good thing if it is a sign of a healthy engagement with the local community.

In the end, I don't want to attract people to church, I want to attract them to Jesus.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Richard,

I'm also a minister - Anglican - who didn't 'do' Back to Church Sunday, but mainly because we did it last year and I don't see it as usefully being an annual event (after all, why do we have Christmas? ;-))

However, I've been following various blogs and news items on the event, and I couldn't help commenting on your remark, "I don't want to attract people to church, I want to attract them to Jesus."

Isn't this a bit contrary?

In a very important sense, Jesus and the Church are identified. He is the Head and the Church is the Body, 'the fullness of him who fills all in all.'

This is very important for mission, because it means Jesus' mission in the world is church mission, and therefore my part in mission is as a body 'member' (a limb or organ) of the church, and mission is 'body building' - bringing people into the body.

I'm sure you know all this, but your summary sentence might suggest a somewhat different view.

Richard said...

I don't mind being contrary, it keeps my mind sharp!

Anyway, I take your point John, I guess the essence of what I am saying is that I don't want to attract people to the church for the sake of filling the church, I want to attract them to something more than that. I guess this is connected with what you are saying about church mission and God's mission.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.