Thursday, September 25, 2008

Being pursued by God's word

These three texts have been the focus of my thoughts for the past few weeks. It isn't that I've not read anything else, I just keep being drawn back to them.

As I plan for next year I have been considering a series on 1Cor.13. I have a plan, but what I really want to do is immerse the church in Paul's description of this "most excellent way". I just keep coming back to the question in my mind: What would the church look like if we lived out Paul's description of love?

Anyway, here are the three texts that have been following me around.

May the Lord lead your hearts into a full understanding and expression of the love of God and the patient endurance that comes from Christ.

2Thess.3:5

I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them.

1Tim.2:1

Do not neglect the spiritual gift you received through the prophecy spoken over you when the elders of the church laid their hands on you. Give your complete attention to these matters. Throw yourself into your tasks so that everyone will see your progress. Keep a close watch on how you live and on your teaching. Stay true to what is right for the sake of your own salvation and the salvation of those who hear you.

1Tim.4:14-16

I'm not sure what the connection is, if any, with 1Cor.13 but it's just the place where I find myself at the moment.

No comments: