Monday, May 12, 2008

Who is Pastor Joe?

I don't know Pastor Joe, but in my search for all things conversational connected to evangelism, I cam across this insightful post called My Suburbia: Evangelism. In it, Pastor Joe makes a number of observations about evangelism:
1. Door to door evangelism is seen as an unwanted invasion.
2. Initiating conversation at Starbucks is welcome.
3. The evangescript is perceived as invasive and fake.
4. Showing how real-life concerns connect to the gospel is well-received.
5. The churched are often as clueless about the gospel as the unchurched.
And he ends with this comment:
I am convinced that in my suburbia unscripted, conversational evangelism is generally a better way to share Christ with strangers than reading from a tract, or reciting a script. My culture requires more natural conversation skills that are developed through practice. It demands a strong theological framework from which we can make connections between real-life concerns of the people we meet to the gospel they need.

No comments: