Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Planning the sabbatical

Having been asked by a number of people, most recently Scott via a comment on a recent post, what I'm going to do with my sabbatical, it really does sound like a good idea to have a plan. If only to have something to say every time I get asked the question. 

The first thing I will do is rest. Rest and work out. I actually quite like going to the gym, and although I'm not exactly a picture of health, the gym is a place where I get away from stuff. And it's good to get away. So I'll spend more time at the gym and more time walking. 

If the weather improves I hope to walk at least 10 maybe 20 miles each week. I have a favourite restaurant down by the river about 6 miles from home. It's a nice walk there and back, and there are a couple of different routes I can take. I might have a go at a longer walk. The one I'd really like to do locally is the Ouse Valley. From start to finish it's about 150 miles I think, so I don't suppose that will get done from end to end, but I might have a go at a section or two.

For those of you who feel faint at the thought of walking to this degree, don't worry. My knees and feet tend to ache after 12 miles and I can't realistically do more than 10 miles a day if I want to walk every day. And believe me, once you get into a rhythm, 10 miles isn't that far. Trust me, I'm a walker!

Between walks I hope to build two pieces of simple furniture. The blanket box in the bedroom is falling apart and I think I'll make a new one. Woodwork was my escape at school from chemistry and maths and biology etc. It was something I loved to do and would, if  I had the space, have a workshop in which to potter about and make things. It's also a good discipline for slowing down. There's no substitute for precision and care if you want to make something decent.

The second bit of furniture is more adventurous. I want to build a wardrobe with a couple of drawers in it, for the guest room. I've actually had quite a lot of fun doing the drawings for these things. It must be around 35 years since I did a proper technical style of drawing for a piece of furniture.

Having rested, walked, worked out and become a master craftsman(!) I'll turn my attention to reflecting on ministry. I know it sounds a bit "spiritual" but I want to learn how to spend time with God again. Ministry is both consuming and demanding. It's so easy to lose sight of one's own relationship with God when you spend most of your time fixing other people's. Ministry dries you out, a sabbatical gives you the time to soak up God's grace and love again.

I've also been toying with the idea of writing something about ministry and organisation. As someone who is constantly battling the indiscipline of a disorganised life, I've been working hard to be better organised. The last year has seen some marked improvements and, while there is still so much to learn, it might be helpful to write down some of the lessons.

I have no doubt that some of these things won't get done. I'm not prepared to sacrifice having a rest simply to write a book. So priorities will need to be set. The last thing I want to do is to arrive at August 31st feeling like I've not done anything and wasted three whole months of opportunity.

No comments: