Thursday, May 08, 2008

What's wrong with evangelicals?

I'm an evangelical. I'm committed to an evangelical understanding of the Bible. I'm committed to an evangelical expression of faith. I'm committed to an evangelical approach to evangelism.

And I'm worried about evangelicals.

I'm worried because I can't help thinking that the historical commitment of evangelicals to biblical teaching and authority is turning us into a movement so quick to criticise each other that we are in danger of pushing the self-destruct button. The problem is that we don't seem to be able to engage in constructive dialogue mixed with genuine encouragement of each other to pursue God's highest calling for our churches and the world we are so desperate to reach.

What has caused this concern to surface in me? Recently I stumbled upon a website that appeared almost to revel in what the author saw as an admission by Bill Hybels that Willow Creek has failed in the process of disciple-making. Their recent major survey of the effectiveness of their ministries was one of the bravest investments I think I've ever seen a church make. That they were willing to share the results on a wider scale was also incredibly brave. And what is more, I don't think their survey discovered anything many of us in ministry were not either aware of or afraid of.

The simple truth is that programmes only help when someone commits to the programme. I know, I go to the gym, I have a plan, I have a personal trainer. But if I only trained when the trainer was there I wouldn't get very far. I need to develop consistent habits for myself.

Anyway, that's not the point of this post. My point is this: I don't necessarily agree with everything I see in the evangelical church. I don't always agree with everything I hear other evangelical leaders say. But if we are all trying to serve God and reach or communities I want to encourage that.

And as for Willow, well I hope they continue to do what they do best. I hope they continue to ask tough question because I actually think they are one of the few expressions of church who will actually take seriously what they discover about their effectiveness and seek to do something about it.

No comments: