Thursday, May 15, 2008

For such a time as this

There are days when I wonder why I do some of the things I do and then there are days when I realise that God has placed me in certain situations because I do what I do. As I've got older, I've become more comfortable accepting that God is at work in my life and through my life. Sometimes I'm aware of God at work, other times I'm not. There's no pattern to being aware and there's no pattern, as far as I can see, to being unaware.

And so it is that I find myself facing challenges because God has placed me somewhere to use my gifts and skills in a way I wouldn't have imagined a number of years ago. Yes, someone else could do it, and someone else would do it differently, but God has placed me there to use me.

As Christians we should never assume that the highest calling is to serve in the church in some ministry, preferably full-time. I'm privileged  to do just that, but it's not all I do. I serve as a school governor and as a member of a governance body for another organisation. I have other connections with community groups.

In all these areas I can serve God. In all these areas, God can use me. 

If you have the opportunity to serve God right now through something that isn't church, don't despise it, do it for his glory.

No comments: